harder.com

Wednesday, May 22, 2002

Amsterdam
I got a smug, knowing email from Hugo the other day saying something to the effect of "You don't have to tell me any stories about Amsterdam, Andrew. uh-huh, I know exACTly what you mean...nudge nudge"

Well, okay. There is no point pretending that I didn't have a good time. I reckon that even an experienced, hard-nosed, achievement-oriented traveller can lose a day or 2 in Amsterdam. I wondered what the attraction was for a while -- all those sad people wasting their days. I mean it's not as though I've never enjoyed it myself, maybe once a year with some friends, but at home it's all so discreet and under-the-table. Everyone tries to act like its no big deal, but you can tell everyone is a little excited about it. But in Amsterdam it's completely legal, in the right place, and just out there, inviting you in, so attractively presented with the prices on display and everything. All the places look pretty dodgy, so you can be a little nervous before you go in, but once you're in there, it's all professional and just another transaction. And it ends up being a great time and you do it a few more times, but eventually you realise that you can't spend all of your money on prostitutes so you leave town.

That's what you were talking about, right Huges?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home