harder.com

Thursday, April 18, 2002

Malaysian Politics
Mahatir Mohammed spitting the dummy has been in the news every day since I've been here. So far, he's had words about those damn city dwellers (all 4 million of them?) who expect too much but won't give anything back (the goods and/or services they expect weren't mentioned) , and those lazy Muslims who aren't studying IT in the numbers he thinks they should. If I had an ego the size of Keating's (watch it...) then labelling him recalcitrant would be the least I could do. Anwar Ibrahim, on the other hand, is still in jail 4 years after he was arrested. He was in the news because he cancelled a hunger strike 24 hours into it because he had... the flu. Now, is it just me, or does his state reason seem to ignore the whole point of the hunger strike? Pulling out on medical advice? "My doctor has advised me against losing any more weight, so from now on I am only going to eat desert if it is my favourite, chocolate cake."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home